Currently (geo)-spatial data infrastructures (SDIs) are being built up at regional, national, as well as international level. They allow a decentralized organization of spatial data and the co-operative use of distributed services. However, the technology for integrating 3D geodata such as virtual city models in SDIs is still in the beginning. There are still many open questions regarding the interoperability between 3D spatial services and adequate work flows at public authorities or other producers and users of 3D city models. Quite a lot of municipalities are already building up city models that have potential for various applications, most prominent being virtual city guides and urban planning, but also disaster management, simulation of sound propagation and others.
The project GDI-3D has three main objectives:
1. Interoperable implementation of 3D city models
2. Building up the required 3D spatial infrastructure
3. Development of prototypical applications using the 3d service infrastructure.
Projects within GDI-3D:
- OpenStreetMap-3D: www.OSM-3D.org Combining free and user generated data from OpenStreetMap with SRTM DEM - currently for entire Germany.
- NorthRhine-Westphalia-3D: www.nrw-3d.de All - over 6 Million - LOD1 buildings from GeoBasis.NRW in GDI-3D
- Heidelberg-3D: www.heidelberg-3d.de Official data combined with textured high resolution building models of Heidelberg